An attractive and well-proportioned Queen Anne period house situated in the popular village of Shotesham All Saints set within 1.62 acres.
Formerly known as ‘High Shottisham Old Hall’, an early occupant of the house was Benjamin Gooch, a well-known and outstanding Surgeon of the 18th century. Gooch ran the Shotesham Cottage Hospital, the first of its kind in England, and was asked by William Fellowes, of Shotesham Park, to help found the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, in 1771. Gooch, and his assistant James Durban, are both buried in All Saints churchyard.
In the early 1830s, the house was the residence of the Mingay family. William James Mingay RN. took George IV to Ireland, and eventually became an Admiral. His initials, and those of his son Parker Fuller are placed on the north wall of the house, with a 12 on the south wall.
In the 1890s the house became a coaching inn under the ownership of the Fellowes family and was named The Dukes Head, frequented by the artist Sir Alfred Munnings. In 1920 the house became once again a private residence, and returned to medical ownership in 1948 when it was bought by Dr Kenneth Latter, a Norwich Physician.
Dukes Head is a fine detaches Queen Anne period house in classical style, built in 1712, in brick, with casement leaded windows, curved Dutch gables and a pantile roof. The rear of the house dates back to the 16th/17th century, and is of clay lump and brick construction, under a tiled roof. The property was carefully positioned with a southwest aspect, overlooking the surrounding countryside and the southern end of Shotesham Common. It was described by Pevsner as a most handsome house
Dukes Head offers well-proportioned family sized accommodation with generously proportioned reception rooms and 7 spacious bedrooms. The house has been carefully looked after by the current owners who have maintained much of the original character and retained many period features including original inglenook fireplaces, exposed beams, intricate ceiling cornicing and the stained glass windows and shutters.
The entrance drive is to the side of the property, with secure electric gates leading to a rear shingled courtyard and parking for several vehicles. To the rear of the property is a triple garage, two-bedroom annexe/barn, outdoor heated swimming pool, hard tennis court, summer house, beautifully maintained formal and informal gardens, and a substantial vegetable plot, with tool shed, greenhouse and compact polytunnel, with electricity and water supply.
The two bedroom detached annexe/barn comprises an open plan kitchen/living room, two bedrooms and a family bathroom and on the first floor are two attic rooms offering potential to be converted into further living space. The property offers ancillary accommodation or a potential income stream.
Approximate Square Meters :
Lot Acres: 1.62